Social Science : Economics
MONEY AND CREDIT
V. Answer in detail
1. Explain how money is
transacted in the digital world.
Transactions (Money Transactions in the Digital World :
• Instead of visiting the bank and fill in a challan or produce
a cheque to withdraw money, necessary amount can be withdrawn from an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) with the
help of debit card. without visiting
the branch one can easily deposit money in
his / her account.
• Things are bought on credit and the amount can be paid later
through credit cards.
• Online net banking is carried set instead of using cheques or
DDs, to transact money to anyone, anywhere across the globe.
• Thanks to technology Mobile
banking is widely used now a days.
2. Explain in detail about the
role of RBI in the country.
The Role of the
Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
• The Reserve bank of India started its operations of 1st April
1935. It was permanently moved to Mumbai from 1937 and it was nationalized in
• In India all the major banks were nationalized (1969). The RBI
regulates the circulation of currency in the country.
• The regulate money supply and oversea the monetary Policy is
the responsibility of a government. The savings in banks are used for the
developement of industries, economic growth and the welfare schemes of the
• In a country's economic stability price control plays an important role. This role is played by the
• The RBI has the authority to decide the value of currency and
how the amount should reach the destination safely. On contract basis the RBI
prints the currencies for Srilanka, Bhutan, Iraq and Africa. To print bank
notes and documents the RBI started the following processes.
• 85% of the printed currency is lot for circulation. Currency
worth of 19 lakh crore are in circulation as per the statistic available as on
3. Write in detail about the
various functions of money.
Functions of money:
• A lot of practical issues in the barter system were solved by
the invention of money.
Money - Medium of
• Money should be accepted liberally in exchange of goods and
services in a country.
Money - Unit of
• Money should be the common, Standard unit of calculating a
country's total consumer goods, products service.
• Money is used to measure and record financial transactions.
Money - A Store
value and a standard of defered payments :
• Money is used as a store of purchasing power and to finance