V. Answer in brief
1. Name the neighbouring countries of India.
• Sri Lanka
2. Give the importance of IST.
• The longitudinal difference between Gujarat in the west and Arunachal Pradesh in the east is about 30°.
• Since Arunachal Pradesh is towards east, it will have sunrise about two hours earlier than the sunrise at Gujarat which is in the west.
• In order to avoid these differences, Indian standard time is calculated.
• The local time of the central meridian of India is the standard time of India.
• India's central meridian is 82°30'E iongitude.
3. Write a short note on Deccan Plateau.
• Deccan plateau is the largest plateau in India.
• It is triangular in shape.
• It is bounded by Western Ghats in the west, Eastern Ghats in the east and Satpura range in the north.
• The area of this plateau is about 7 lakh square km.
• Its height ranges from 500 to 1000 m above sea level.
• It slopes from west to east.
4. State the west following rivers of India.
5. Write a brief note on the island group of Lakshadweep
• The three divisions Laccadive, Minicoy and Amindivi were renamed as Lakshadweep in 1973.
• Lakshadweep is a small group of coral islands located off the west coast of India.
• It covers an area of 132 sq. km.
• Its capital is Kavaratti.
• There is a bird sanctuary in Pitt island.