V. Answer briefly
1. What do you know of the White Terror in Indo-China?
• The Vietnam Nationalist party was formed in 1927.
• In 1929 the Vietnamese soldiers mutinied against the French occupation of their country.
• There was a failed attempt to assassinate the French Governor General.
• This was followed by a large scale peasant revolt led by the communists.
• The revolt was crushed and thousands of rebels were killed. This incident is known as "the White Terror”
2. Discuss the importance of Ottawa Economic Summit.
• The Great Depression of 1929 had a disastrous impact on British trade and business.
• Britain transmitted the effects of Depression (1929) to its colonies. Bilateral trade treaties between Britain and the member states of the British Empire were signed at an Economic summit in Ottawa in 1932.
• In the Ottawa Economic Summit the. participants (including India) agreed to give preference to imperial (Britain) over non-imperial goods.
3. What was the result of Mussolini’s march on Rome?
• Mussolini organised the Fascist march on Rome in October 1922 in the context of a long ministerial crisis.
• Impressed by the Mussolini's march on Rome, the King invited Mussolini to form a government.
4. Point out the essence of the Berlin Colonial Conference, 1884-85.
• The Berlin Colonial Conference of 1884-85 had resolved that Africa should be divided into spheres of influence of various colonial powers.
• However the war was between the British and Boers in South Africa was in defiance of this resolution.
5. How did Great Depression impact on the Indian agriculture?
• The Great Depression gave a death blow to Indian agriculture and the indigenous manufacturing sector.
• The value of farm produce declined by half, but the land rent to be paid by the peasant remained unchanged.
• In terms of prices of agricultural commodities, the obligation of the farmers to the state doubled.
• Farmers and Indian manufacturers had to sell their gold and silver reserves to subsist and survive.
6. Define “Dollar Imperialism.”
Dollar Imperialism is the term used to describe the policy of the USA in maintaining and dominating over distant lands through economic aid.