ACCELERATION DUE TO GRAVITY USING SIMPLE PENDULUM
To measure the acceleration due to gravity using a simple pendulum
Retort stand, pendulum bob, thread, meter scale, stop watch.
Acceleration due to gravity
T → Time period of simple pendulum (second)
g → Acceleration due to gravity (metre sec-2)
L → Length of the pendulum (metre)
· Attach a small brass bob to the thread
· Fix this thread on to the stand
· Measure the length of the pendulum from top to the middle of the bob of the pendulum. Record the length of the pendulum in the table below.
· Note the time (t) for 10 oscillations using stop watch
· The period of oscillation T = t/10
· Repeat the experiment for different lengths of the pendulum ‘L’. Find acceleration due to gravity g using the given formula.
To find the acceleration due to gravity ‘g’
The acceleration due to gravity ‘g’ determined using simple pendulum is
i) By calculation = . . . . . . . . . m s-2
ii) By graph = . . . . . . . . . m s-2