G. As a local government official working in the flood affected area you are talking to an old lady who has lost her belongings. Write a dialogue between you and the old woman. Complete the conversation.
You: Good morning Madam.
Old lady: Good morning.
You: I am from the Fire and Rescue department. How can I help you?
Old lady: Can you help me get my lost things?
You : I am here to help you. What have you lost, Mam?
Old Lady : I could not find out my 'diamond’.
You : When did you miss it?
Old lady : I missed it only after the flood.
You : Where was it? When there was the flood?
Old Lady : It was only in my bed room.
You : Is it very dear to you?
Old Lady : It is very precious to me. I have no safety without it.
You : We shall find it out by checking your house completely.
Old Lady : Do it quickly before my diamond dies!
You : How can it die, Mam?
Old Lady : It'll surely die because 'diamond' is my pet dog.
You : Oh my God ! I'm helpless. May God bless you, old lady.
H. Write a letter to your friend about your experiences during the recent ‘Gaja’ cyclone.
123, Vivekananda street,
July 16, 2017.
The Gaja cyclone hit my town Kanyakumari very severely. The nearest town Nagercoil was no exception. The report confirmed the great loss of lives and properties in the whole district of Kanyakumari. It was intensified on November 30, 2017.
There was a severe damage to a lot of houses, schools, hospitals, and other infrastructures in our area. The power line went off along with the stoppage of water supply. It took months to recover.
The schools and colleges were closed. The important examinations were also postponed. Many fishermen did not return home even.
We are recovering slowly but it remains still in our mind.
Address on the envelope
Miss Angela Edwin,
115, Brighton street,
Tirunelveli - 627011.
I. Make a poster of any natural disaster, giving details about the devastation caused.
J. You are a volunteer in your locality to serve people who are affected by floods. How will you caution them to move to a safer place taking only their bare necessities? Describe.
1. Do not walk or drive across the flood waters.
2. Avoid recreational contact with flood waters and the risk of drowning.
3. Stay away from flood waters.
4. Do not go floating, boating, swimming or rowing in flood waters, streams or the river.
5. Use special caution to recognize in darkness
6. Stay away from power lines and electrical wires. Electrocution is also a major killer in floods. Electrical current can travel through water.
7. Collect medicines and three days supply of clothing with you.
8. Turn off electricity and gas cylinders and lock your doors and windows when you evacuate.
9. Collect the important documents, mementos, photos and pets to take them with you when you evacuate.
10. Raise belongings by placing them on tables, beds and benches or move them to higher ground.
K. Given below are some qualities that the characters in the play displayed during the floods for survival. Identify and write the character with the qualities.
Quality Character : Quality Character
1. Anxiety : Amy Marshall
2. Serious : Amy
3. Fun : Rose Field
4. Sober : Jim Hall
5. Excitement : Betty Marshall
6. Scared : Amy
7. Frightened : Sara Field
8. Shudder : Amy
9. Hopeful : Betty
10. Horror : Rose
11. Enjoyment : Sara
12. Terrified : Amy
13. Level headed : Jim Hall
14. Scornful : Jim Hall
15. Hysterical : Sara