![if !IE]> <![endif]>
1. The radio announced that the river was above the flood stage.
a. the river was above the flood stage.
b. the Burnet Dam had given way.
c. there will be a cloud burst.
d. there will be a cyclone.
2. Mother couldn’t get home from Mrs. Brant’s because the bridges between home and the town were under water.
a. it was raining heavily.
b. the bridges between home and the town were under water.
c. there was an emergency at Mrs. Brant’s house.
d. she had broken her leg.
3. The Burnett Dam gave away as it rained heavily and the snow was melting.
a. it rained for days.
b. the dam was weak.
c. it rained heavily and the snow was melting.
d. the maintenance was poor.
4. There was no power because the power house was out of commission.
a. the power house was out of commission.
b. the power house was flooded.
c. the dam gave away.
d. there was fire.
5. Why did they splint up Sara’s leg with pillows?
a. She was unconscious out of fear.
b. She had broken her leg below the knee.
c. She was too lazy to walk.
d. She was making a fuss.
1. Why did Jim run from school?
It was a cloud burst. So
Jim ran from school to get home.
2. Where was Amy’s mother?
Amy's mother was at Mrs.
3. Why did Amy ask Betty to fill in the water tubs?
Amy asked Betty to fill in
the water tubs because the town supply may be cutoff.
4. According to Jim, what are the two things that a person should remember in times of emergency?
The first thing is one should not let the others see how scared one is. The second thing is one has to get water, food, blankets, coats and lights.
5. Why is Jim climbing on the roof?
Jim is climbing on the roof
to signal for help from there.
6. Who were there in the living room? What were they doing?
Amy Betty and Rose were in
the living room. Amy and Rose are knitting. Betty was looking at pictures in a
7. Why were they going to sleep in the attic?
They were going to sleep in
the attic, because they wanted to escape from the flood.
8. Who came in the boat?
Mr. Peter and Miss. Marsh
came in the boat.
9. Who is the founder of the Junior Red Cross?
Jean Henry Dunant is the
founder of Junior Red Cross.
1. Amy - to Chicago on business
2. Betty - dentist
3. Rose - flash light
4. Sara - nurse
5. Jim - blankets
6. Penny Marsh - Mrs. Brant’s
7. Mr. Peters - fractured leg
8. Mother - tubs and pails
9. Dick - Junior Red Cross
10. Dad - rescues the children
1. Amy : Blankets
2. Betty : Flash light
3. Rose : Tubs and pails
4. Sara : Fractured leg
5. Jim : Junior Red cross
6. Penny Marsh : Nurse
7. Mr. Peters : Rescues the children
8. Mother : Mrs. Brant's
9. Dick : Dentist
10. Dad : To Chicago on business
1. Describe the ‘home alone’ experience of the children.
Children comforted each
other. They gathered all the necessary things. They were ready to overcome the
2. Elaborate the rescue operation undertaken by Mr. Peter.
Mr. Peter came in a boat
with Miss. Marsh. They rescued the children. He gave first aid for Sara and
took her to Red Cross Hospital.
3. How did Jim prove himself as a good rescuer in the flood situation?
Jim proved to be the man of the mission. He updated all the news about flood. He made the children to collect food, water, blanket, coats and lights. He rescued Sara from the playhouse porch. Thus Jim proved himself as a good rescuer in the flood situation.
4. Briefly narrate the happenings of the play in Scene II.
a. How did Amy manage the situation at home?
Amy joined hands with Jim to carry out all precautions to protect the children. She was more responsible to collect fresh water to drink for some more days. She looked into the basic needs of food and shelter. She engaged Betty and Rose to complete the task. She was very helpful to Sara also. She had the concern for her mother who could not return home. Thus she managed the situation very well.
b. How did the Marshall save the children?
The children were panic stricken after the flood. Mr. Peter and Miss. Marsh, the Red cross nurse, had brought the boat. They gave first aid to Sara. They took her to the Red cross hospital. Betty and Rose were also taken with them in the boat. Amy and Jim stayed behind. Thus the Marshall saved the children.
PARAGRAPH FOR TOPPERS:
• Old man river
• Jim took charge
• Help from the Red cross
• Mission Rescue
Tragedy strikes unexpectedly. This lesson focusses on the awareness of first aid. The author denotes the significant role played by Red Cross
Old man river:
One late afternoon in March it was a rainy day. The rains were very heavy. Amy, Betty were at home. Rose, their neighbour was with them. Amy's mother took Dick to the dentist. Amy and Rose were knitting. Betty was looking at pictures in a magazine. The old man river was in floods. Flood water surrounded the house.
Jim took charge:
Jim their neighbour arrived to help them. The children were afraid. Jim assured them not to panic. He took control of the situation. He asked the children to get organised. Betty collected flash lights, lanterns and candles. Jim checked the availability of food, blankets and coats. They got the first aid kit.
Help from the Red Cross:
The dam gave away. The house was cut off from the south side. The water was around the garage. Mr. Peter and Miss. Marsh are working for Red Cross. They came in the boat. They rescued the children.
Mr. Peter asked Jim and Amy to stay back. He offered them an extra lantern apd a jar of coffee. They rescued Sara who had fallen from the step ladder and broken her leg. Rose, Betty and Sara were taken in a boat. They admitted Sara in Red Cross Hospital.
Amy and Jim thanked the Red Cross for the timely rescue operation. The lesson "Old man River" pictures life in times of crisis.
PARAGRAPH FOR AVERAGE
One late afternoon in March it was a rainy day. The rains were very heavy. Amy, Betty were at home. Rose, their neighbour was with them. Amy and Rose were knitting. Betty was looking at pictures in a magazine. The old man river was in floods. Flood water surrounded the house. Jim their neighbour arrived to help them. He assured them not to panic. He asked the children to get organised. They got the necessary things and first aid kid. Mr. Peter and Miss. Marsh who were working for Red cross came in the boat. They rescued the children. Rose, Betty and Sara were taken in a boat. They admitted Sara in Red Cross Hospital. They thanked the Red Cross for the rescue operation.
PARAGRAPH FOR LATE BLOOMERS:
• One afternoon in March it was a rainy day.
• Amy, Betty and Rose were at home.
• The old river was in floods.
• Flood water surrounded the house.
• Jim, the neighbour arrived to help them. He asked them to collect the necessary things.
• Mr. Peter, Miss. Marsh who worked for the Red cross came in the boat.
• They rescued the children. They admitted Sara in Red Cross Hospital.
• They thanked the Red Cross for the rescue operation
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.