You can use a variety of reading strategies to help you understand the text better. Your teacher will now explain how to ‘skim ‘and ‘scan’ a text for information.
Read the following passage about mountaineering.
1. Mountains have a great fascination for men and people. Mountain climbing, however, is not without risks. It is a challenge to the unconquerable spirit of man and his love of adventure. That it is a dangerous sport cannot be denied. As one climbs higher and higher, breathing becomes more and more difficult. Some climbers, therefore, carry a heavy apparatus from which they inhale oxygen.
2. Mountain climbing is dangerous in the extreme. There are snow storms and blizzards. It is difficult to walk through the snow. It is still more difficult to climb on ice because it is difficult to keep foothold and cut steps with axes in order to make progress. The cold is so severe that the climber’s skin, feet, toes, fingers and tissues freeze, become numb and they may suffer frostbite. The most serious difficulty isthe climber at a high altitude gets exhausted with a little effort.
3. Mountain climbing requires proper training, skill and knowledge. The climbers must be well-equipped. They must be in good physical condition and should possess courage, perseverance and power of endurance. They should carry with them maps, compasses and other equipment so that they are able to find out where they are in the absence of any tracks. They must travel through dense woods as they approach a mountain and then climb steep rocks. Near the summit of a high peak, the climbers have to move over snow fields and glaciers. In dangerous areas they use ropes to tie themselves in groups.
4. The climbers carry with them packs loaded with first-aid supplies, food and extra clothing for sudden changes of weather. They display spirit of sportsmanship and fellow-feeling and face the severe risks of life undaunted. Mountain climbing is a common sport in Europe. There are mountaineering clubs where training in mountaineering is imparted.
5. There are high peaks in India and there have been successful expeditions to scale these highest peaks. After the conquest of the Everest by Tenzing and Hillary in 1953, the Mountaineering Institute at Darjeeling was established to develop interest in mountain-climbing among the Indians. Expeditions have been sent to climb the highest peaks in the country.
6. Mountain climbing is a thrilling adventure. It brings into play the heroic qualities of humankind. Mountaineers deserve all praise for their courage and heroism. In recent years Mt. Everest has been scaled several times by foreign climbers. India too has organised several expeditions to Everest. Lately an Indian Sherpa scaled the Everest without the use of oxygen. Mrs. Bachchendri Pal also succeeded in scaling the Everest. She is the first Indian woman to do it.
Do you know
A research team discovered in 1994 that Everest continues to grow approximately 4mm every year due to geological uplift.
L. Based on your reading, answer the following questions in a sentence or two.
1. Is mountaineering a dangerous sport? Why? (para 1)
Yes, mountaineering is a
dangerous sport. As one climbs higher and higher, breathing becomes more
2. What is frostbite? (para 2)
Frostbite is an injury caused by exposure of parts of the body to the cold. The cold causes freezing of skin and underlying tissues. The fingers, toes and feet are most commonly affected.
3. What are the qualities of a good climber? (para 3)
A climber must be in good physical condition and should possess courage, perseverance and power of endurance. He/she must have proper training, skill and knowledge.
4. What do climbers carry with them? (para 4)
Climbers carry with them packs loaded with first-aid supplies, food and extra clothing for sudden changes of weather.
5. Where is the Mountaineering Institute situated in India? (para 5)
Institute is situated in Darjeeling
6. What qualities of humankind are brought out by this adventurous sport? (para 6)
This adventurous sport has
brought out the heroic qualities of mankind.
7. Why do mountaineers deserve praise? (para 6)
Mountaineers deserve praise
because they possess courage and heroism.
8. What kind of visitors does Mt. Everest get? (para 6)
Mt. Everest gets visitors
who scaled the Everest without the use of oxygen. Mrs. Bachchendri Pal is the
Indian woman to do it.