![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Homophones are words with same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling.
new – knew
hole – whole
knight – night
see – sea
a. Pick out the correct homophone.
1. I am not allowed to drink soda. (aloud,allowed)
2. The wind blew the leaves. (blue,blew)
3. I will meet my friend. (meat,meet)
4. He will play the role in the second play. (role,roll)
5. I have seen the movie already. (scene,seen)
b. Choose the correct homophone.
1. Every morning my father likes to look at the ________ on the grass.
[Answer: (b) dew]
2. Chennai is the ________ of Tamilnadu.
[Answer: (b) capital]
3. I was very ________ last weekend because my friends went to the village without informing me.
[Answer: (a) bored]
4. The cat caught the _______ of a mouse.
[Answer: (a) scent ]
5. The _______ rises in the east.
[Answer: (b) sun]
Abbreviation and Acronyms
An abbreviation is a shortened form of a word or phrase. Example: PM - Prime Minister
ATM: Automated Teller Machine
GB: Giga Byte
PC: Personal Computer
CEO: Chief Educational Officer
EMIS: Education Management Information System
IAS: Indian Administrative Service
NMMS: National Means cum Merit Scholarship
SBI: State Bank of India
OTP: One Time Password
IFSC: Indian Financial System Code
PDF: Portable Document Format
LED: Light Emitting Diode
UPS: Uninterruptible Power Supply
GST: Goods and Services Tax
An acronym is a shortened form of a phrase and is usually made up of the initial letters of that phrase. for example: NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
AVADI: Armoured Vehicles and Ammunition Depot of India
RAM: Random Access Memory
ROM: Read-Only Memory
NEET: National Eligibility cum Entrance Test
UDISE: Unified District Information System for Education
PAN: Permanent Account Number
WHO: World Health Organization
NEWS: North, East, West and South.
SIM: Subscriber Identification Module
LAN: Local Area Network
VAT: Value Added Tax
Expand the following:
1. ECG Electrocardiogram
2. ILO International Labour Organisation
3. SCERT State Council of Educational Research and Training
4. IIT Indian Institute of Technology
5. ISRO Indian Space Research Organisation
6. FIR First Information Report
7. UNESCO United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
8. UNICEF United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund
9. NASA National Aeronautics and Space Administration
10. AIDS Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
11. ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
12. UFO Unidentified Flying Object
13. FAQ Frequently Asked Questions
1. GST Goods and Services Tax.
2. BPL Below Poverty Line
3. BSF Border Security Force
4. CBEC Central Board of Excise and Customs
5. CBI Central Bureau of Investigation
6. CBSE Central Board of Secondary Education
7. CCTV Closed-Circuit Television
8. CFL Compact Fluorescent Lamp
9. NGO Non-Governmental Organisation
10. SSC Staff Selection Commission
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.