Read and Understand
A) Choose the correct synonyms for the italicized words.
1. Nice fun indeed
Answer: (a) infact
2. The poor woman is in a panic.
Answer: (a) fear
3. The mother consoled her little girl.
Answer: (b) comforted
4. You are always self-centred.
Answer: (a) egoistic
5. What is the secret you are whispering?
Answer: (b) murmur
B) Find the antonym for the following words.
1. Delight × displease
2. Disgrace × glory
3. Careless × careful
4. Secret × public
5. confine × release
C) Fill in the blanks.
1. The sparrows built their nests in the roof of Ramayya’s house.
2. The diamond jewel was lying in the muck-heap.
3. The diamond jewel belonged to Meenakshi Ammal’s daughter.
4. Kuppayi was the servant maid of Meenakshi Ammal.
5. Ramayya and his wife lived with the fear of getting caught.
D) Say the following statements are True or False.
1. Two sparrows built a nest on a tree top. [Answer: False]
2. Kuppayi swept out the diamond jewel. [Answer: True]
3. Ramayya gave the diamond jewel to the magistrate. [Answer: False]
4. Ramayya's wife put the stud away in her box. [Answer: True]
5. The Police searched Rammaya’s home. [Answer: False]
E) Answer the following questions
1. Where did the sparrows build the nest?
Answer: The sparrows built
the nest in a nice spot in the roof of Ramayya’s house.
2. Why did the bird drop diamond stud?
Answer: The wife bird shouted
at the male bird to go in search of food. So it dropped the diamond stud.
3. What were the words of Meenakshi Ammal to her daughter?
Answer: Meenakshi Ammal told
her daughter not to tell her father about the lost diamond nose-stud.
4. Who was suspected of stealing the diamond nose stud?
Answer: The maid-servant Kuppayi
was suspected of stealing the diamond nose stud.
5. What did Ramayya’s wife do with the stud?
Answer: Ramayya’s wife put
the stud away in her box.
6. What happened to Ramayya’s wife at the end?
Answer: Ramayya’s wife
developed a severe fever and was confined to her bed.
F) Answer the following in about 100 words.
1. Why did the sparrow throw the nose jewel into Ramayya's house?
Answer: One day, the male sparrow found a diamond nose-jewel in a heap. He picked it up and came to the nest with the shining stud in his beak and informed his wife about it. The female bird shouted at him and told, him that the diamond jewel was not of any use to her. She asked the male sparrow to search for food for their young ones. So the bird dropped the diamond stud on the floor and went out in search of little worms for the young ones.
2. Explain how Ramayya's wife reacted when she saw the nose jewel?
Answer: When Ramayya’s wife was sweeping the floor she found the diamond nose stud. She picked it up with delight and wore it. Her husband told her that it was a mistake to keep the jewel. She did not bother about it. She knew that the jewel belonged to her neighbour’s daughter. Yet she did not reveal about it to anyone. The maid-servant of the neighbour was suspected. The police searched her hut, but could not find it. Ramayya’s wife put the stud away in her box. She soon developed a server fever and was confined to her bed.
Very Short Questions and Answers:
1. Where did Ramayya live?
Answer: Ramayya was a simple man who lived in a town.
2. What did the male-bird find?
Answer: The male-bird found a diamond stud in a heap.
3. What did Ramayya’s wife notice?
Answer: Ramayya’s wife noticed the diamond stud, as she was sweeping the floor.
4. Who was Kuppayi?
Answer: Kuppayi was the maid-servant of Meenakshi Ammal.
5. Did the police find anything?
Answer: The police could not find anything.
Short Questions and Answers:
1. What did the male-bird say to the female-bird about Ramayya’s wife?
Answer: The male-bird complained to his wife that Ramayya’s wife always quarrelled with his wife.
2. What was the state of Ramayya, when the police were searching the stud?
Answer: Ramayya’s heart was in a flutter. He was frightened that the police would come to his house and search for the stud.