The Living World of Plants
* To know there are many varieties of plant.
* To know all parts of the plants and their functions.
* To know the different forms of leaves.
* To understand the food manufactured by plants is consumed by animals and human.
* To know the different types of habitats.
* To understand, plants exhibit adaptations and modifications based on the habitat
* To know life forms depend on each other.
Time to Learn
Rani and Ravi went to vegetable market with their mother. They saw variety of fresh green vegetables in attractive colours. Mother bought cauliflower, cabbage and raddish. Ravi asked his mother “Mom, do all the vegetables grow under the soil?” Mother answered, no Ravi, we get some vegetable, from stem, some from roots. Even some flowers are used for cooking. Rani and Ravi were surprised to know that vegetables are from different parts of a plant. After returning home they sorted out all vegetable, from the bag and discussed which vegetable is from stem, root and flower. Mother collected keezhanelli, curry leaves, coriander leaves from the garden and said that the purpose for using these leaves in cooking is to add medicinal value and aroma. Discuss the picture of vegetables are given below with your teacher.
Biology is a natural science concerned with the study of life and living organisms, includingtheir structure and functions. The living world comprises of plants and animals. Plants can prepare food itself, grow in size, and reproduce. Various parts of the plants are used asfood, medicine, wood, and shelter.