Role of Computers in Office:
The following are the major role of computers in office
1. Data Storage: The data storage and retrieval capacity of computers are greater and more advanced as technology improves. Files are easily retrievable through search functions, and hard drives can hold extraordinary volumes of files and data. For offices with large databases this data storage and retrieval function provides unparalleled advantages over traditional paper file storage, such as the ease and speed of information retrieval, the ease of changing data records and the ease of tracking changes made to customer record.
2. Communication: Internal and external communication is much easier with the use of e-mail and internal messaging systems on computers. Office staffs are able to pass information throughout the office quickly and effectively, as most office setups have an alert system on individual computers when a message or e-mail is received.
3. Networking: File sharing is one of the key benefits of networking computers in an office environment. Office networking, or the creation of an office intranet means that a common database of files is accessible to all users. This also applies to software and management of computers, which significantly reduces costs for offices, as they can purchase one networkable software product instead of having to purchase multiple copies for individual computers. Networking also provides communal access to printers, fax machines and copiers.
4. Productivity: Computers in the office environment significantly enhance productivity. Computers in the office increase productivity not only in areas such as word processing, data management and information access, but also in information creation, collation and ultimately storage.
5. Improving Efficiency: Computers can increase the speed and accuracy of many work processes, which improves overall worker efficiency. Documents can be written and edited much more quickly with the aid of a word processing program, and procedures, such as billing and accounting, can also occur more rapidly and with fewer errors. Computers can produce reports with great speed and allow for the easy insertion of enhancements, such as charts, graphs and pictures if desired. Computers also help companies in administrative tasks, such as keeping up-to-date and accurate records.