Requirements of an ideal traction system:
1. High adhesion coefficient, so that high tractive effort at the start is possible to have rapid acceleration.
2. The locomotive or train unit should be self contained so that it can run on any route.
3. Minimum wear on the track.
4. It should be possible to overload the equipment for short periods.
5. The equipment required should be minimum, of high efficiency and low initial and maintenance cost.
6. It should be pollution free.
7. Speed control should be easy.
8. Braking should be such that minimum wear is caused on the brake shoes, and if possible the energy should be regenerated and returned to the supply during braking period.