Read scene I of the play carefully
and answer the questions below.
1. List the characters that appear in the scene. What human characteristics
do they exhibit?
Father Wolf, Tabaqui and
Father Wolf takes rest
like human beings. Like a responsible Mother, the Mother Wolf takes care of her
cubs. Tabaqui speaks like some human beings who are hypocrites. Shere Khan's mother
called her son Lungri (the lame one) as human beings give nicknames to others.
2. The scene is set inside a thick forest and it is nearing dusk. Relate
this time frame with the behaviour of the animals in the forest.
Usually all predators hunt by night. These animals are
active at night and they prowl about in search of prey.
3. Did Tabaqui receive a warm welcome from the pack of wolves? How do you
No, Tabaqui did not receive a warm welcome from the pack
of wolves. As Tabaqui acted as a spy for Shere Khan the wolves did not like him.
4. Tabaqui acts as ____________ to the pack of wolves.
a) a guard
b) a friend
c) a messenger
d) an enemy
Answer: b) a friend
5. Whom does Mother Wolf talk about? How does she describe him?
Mother Wolf talks about Shere Khan the tiger. She calls
him a 'lame butcher'.
6. Who is about to go on a hunt? Do the wolves panic on his arrival? Explain.
Shere Khan the tiger is about to go on a hunt. No, the
wolves are not in panic on his arrival. In fact, Mother Wolf was ready to fight
against Shere Khan till death.
7. Match the following.
Sl.No. CHARACTER /TRAIT
a. Father Wolf - with a grey nose…feeds her
b. Tabaqui - the big one from Waingunga River
with a lame foot
c. Mother Wolf - the chief of the Wolves
d. Shere Khan - begs for meat and thanks for the
meal/warns the wolves about the arrival of Shere Khan
a) the chief of the Wolves
b) begs for meat and thanks for the meal/wams the wolves about
the arrival of Shere Khan
c) with a grey nose...feeds her four cubs
d) the big one from Waingunga River with a lame foot