Process involved in condition monitoring
Conditions monitoring is one of the maintenance methods which are used to assess the health and condition of equipments machines, systems or process by absorbing checking, measuring and monitoring several parameters. This technique is also called as equipment health monitoring.
1. Identifying critical systems
2. Selecting suitable techniques for condition monitoring
3. Setting baselines
4. Data collection
5. Data assessment
6. Fault diagnosis and repair
7. System review
advantages and disadvantages and disadvantages of condition monitoring. Advantages
• Improved availability of equipment
• Minimized breakdown cost
• Improved reliability Disadvantages
• Gives only marginal benefits
• Increased running cost
Sometimes difficult to organize
various levels of condition monitoring
Machine components are visually inspected to determine their condition a.Sight Leaks
Smoke or casing colour change, indicating overheating. b.Smell Overheating
c.Hearing Abnormal noise, indicating some malfunction.
d.Feel Abnormal vibration, indicating some malfunction, high casing temperatures, indicating overheating
Wear debris and contaminant monitoring.
1. Direct detection of the debris in the oil in the machine optical methods.
2. Electrically conducting filters.
3. Inductive and capacitative methods.
4. Collection of the debris in the machine for regular examination.
5. Existing filtration system.
6. Special filters.
7. Magnetic plugs.
8. Regular sampling of the lubricant for an analysis of its contents.
9. Elemental (spectrometric) analysis.
10. Magnetic particle separation.
11. Automatic particle counting.
on-load and off-load testing used in condition monitoring
Condition monitoring can be done in two methods viz,off-line or on- line.In off-line condition monitoring,the machine is withdrawn from service and disconnected from its normal supply. Measurements
of system, monitoring equipment are built in or installed in series with the running
monitoring system are generally continuous with provision to by pass.