![if !IE]> <![endif]>
According to Littlefield,“Office layout may be defined as the arrangement of equipment within the available floor space”.
According to _, “The problem of layout relates to the arrangement in the space involved so that all the equipment, supplies, procedures and personnel can function at maximum efficiency”.
The object of an office layout is to make arrangements for placing of men, materials, machines, furniture and equipment within the available floor space of the office in such a way that everything can be utilized in the best possible manner. An office layout involves:
· The determination of the correct amount of space for each employee and for machinery and equipment they use
· The correct arrangement of furniture, equipment and machinery and
· The best possible environmental conditions.
The objectives of an office lay out are:
1. The available floor space should be used to the greatest extent
2. Service such as electricity and telephone should be available wherever needed
3. Good working conditions should be provided for everyone.
4. The individual clerks should be so located that the supervisor should be able to see the staff at work.
5. A sense of belonging and loyalty to the working group should be encouraged
6. Communication and work flow should be facilitated
7. The movement of clerks between desks, filing cabinets, etc should be made easy. The work desks should be located within easy reach of equipment and machines which the clerk may need to use in course of performing the work.
8. Noisy and distracting operations should be segregated.
9. Mutual interference between clerks should be avoided.
10. Privacy and security should be provided to departments or individuals dealing with work of confidential documents or records.
11. Adequate safety arrangements should be provided for departments dealing with secret or valuable documents or records.
A well planned layout brings a number of benefits to the office and to the employees. The benefits of proper office layout is given below:
a. Assists in the efficiency of getting the work done from employees.
b. Proper utilization of office floor space.
c. Facilitates smooth supervision.
d. Speeds up intercommunication.
e. Utilization of office machines and equipment to their optimum capacity.
f. Ensures better comfort and self esteem of the employees.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.