“Leadership is lifting of man’s visions to higher sights, the raising of man’s performance to a higher standard, the building of man’s personality beyond its normal limitations”.
The success of quality management is to a greater extent is influenced by the quality of the leadership. Peter Drucker, the eminent management thinker and writer quotes: “Leadership is lifting of man’s visions to higher sights, the raising of man’s performance to a higher standard, the building of man’s personality beyond its normal limitations”.
Leadership is the process of influencing others towards the accomplishment of goals. Leader
triggers the will to do, show the direction and guide the group members towards the accomplishment of the company’s goal.
CHARACTERISTICS FOR LEADERSHIP
· The customers first.
· Value people.
· Built supplier partnership.
· Empower people.
· Demonstrate involvement/commitment.
· Strive for excellence.
· Explain and deploy policy.
· Improve communication.
· Promote teamwork.
· Benchmark continuously.
· Establish system.
· Encourage collaboration.
1. Producer role.
2. Director role.
3. Coordinator role roles.
4. Checker role.
5. Stimulator role.
6. Mentor role.
7. Innovator role.
Ø Shape the Organization’s value
Ø Promote the Organization’s value
Ø Protect the Organization’s value and
Ø Exemplifies the Organization values
CHARACTERISTICS OF QUALITY LEADERS
1. They give priority attention to external and internal customers and their needs.
2. They empower, rather than control, subordinates.
3. They emphasis improvement rather than maintenance.
4. They emphasis prevention.
5. They emphasis collaboration rather than competition.
6. They train and coach, rather than direct and supervise.
7. They learn from the problems.
8. They continually try to improve communications.
9. They continually demonstrate their commitment to quality.
10.They choose suppliers on the basis of quality, not price.
11.They establish organizational systems to support the quality effort.
12.They encourage and recognize team effort.
A leader should have the following concepts
1. People, Paradoxically, need security and independence at the same time.
2. People are sensitive to external and punishments and yet are also strongly self - motivated.
3. People like to hear a kind word of praise. Catch people doing something right, so you can pat them on the back.
4. People can process only a few facts at a time; thus, a leader needs to keep things simple.
5. People trust their gut reaction more than statistical data.
6. People distrust a leader’s rhetoric if the words are inconsistent with the leader’s actions.
THE 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE:
1. Be Proactive
2. Begin with the End in mind
3. Put First Things First
4. Think Win – Win
5. Seek First to Understand, then to Be Understood
7. Sharpen the Saw (Renewal)
ROLE OF SENIOR MANAGEMENT
1. Management by Wandering Around (MBWA).
2. Strategy of problem solving and decision making.
3. Strong information base.
4. Recognition and Reward system.
5. Spending most of the time on Quality.
7. Identify and encourage potential employee.
8. Accept the responsibility.
9. To play a role model.
10.Remove road blocks.
11.Study TQM and investigate how TQM is implemented elsewhere.
12.Establish policies related to TQM.
13.Establish ‘priority of quality’ and ‘customer satisfaction’ as the basic policy.
14.Assume leadership in bringing about a cultural change.
15.Check whether the quality improvement programmes are conducted as planned.
16.Become coaches and cheer leaders to implement TQM.
17.Generate enthusiasm for TQM activities.
18.Visit other companies to observe TQM functioning.
19.Attend TQM training programme.
20.Teach others for the betterment of society and the surroundings.