Importance of the fetal skull to the midwife
· It contains the delicate brain and about 95% of babies present by head.
· Sound knowledge of fetal diameter and measurement cause least problems during labour and delivery through diagnosis of abnormalities presentation and position, also disproportion between the fetal head and the pelvis can be easily recognized.
· Delivery can be conducted with minimal injuries to the mother and baby.
· It is large in comparison with the fetal body and true pelvis; some adaptation has to be made between the head and the pelvis.
· The head is the most difficult part to be delivered either it comes first or last.