Importance of Obstetrics and Gynecology nursing
Ensuring healthy antenatal period followed by a safe normal delivery with a healthy child and an uneventful post partum period. Prompt and efficient cares during obstetrical emergencies also prevent so many of complications. The importance of the obstetric and gynecology nursing are:
· Equip the nurse with the knowledge and understanding of the Anatomy and physiology of reproductive organ be able to apply it in practice
· With a good knowledge of obstetric drugs including, the effect of diseases their Complications and know how to deal with them.
· Develop skills in carrying out antenatal care and be able to detect any abnormality, recognize and prevent complications.
· Select high risk cases for hospital delivery and provide health education.
· Develop skills in supporting the women in labour, maintain proper records, and deliver her safely and resuscitate her new born when necessary.
· Be able to care for the mother and baby during the post partum period and be able to identify abnormalities and help them to get-over it.
· Be able to educate them on care of the baby, immunization, family guidance and family spacing.
· Be ready to offer advice to support the mother and understand her problems as a mature, kind and helpful nurse.