![if !IE]> <![endif]>
An electric shock is caused by a person touching a live electric wire. The signs of electric shock are as follows.
1.The patient is unconscious.
2.The patient is in contact with a source of electricity. When you see a person who has an electric shock you must act promptly in order to save his life. Proceed as follows:
Whenever possible shut off the current.
Free the person from the source of electricity by using a piece of wood, paper or rubber to push or pull him away.
If there is cessation of breath, give mouth-to mouth respiration immediately. (refer CPR). Mouth to mouth respiration should be continued for a long time, and certainly for as long as the respiration is restored.
After the patient has recovered, examine the skin for the presence of any burns and refer to the person for further treatment.
Educate the community on how to avoid electric shock by talking on the following points.
o Ensure that all electric points are safe and that there are no exposed live wires.
o Prevent children from playing with electric switches and sockets.
o Prevent children from climbing up electric poles.
Heat stroke results from exposure to excessive heat and sun and may occur during the hot summer months. It is more likely to occur in those who have been drinking alcohol and those who are weak.
The early signs and symptoms of heat stroke are as follows.
High temperature (up to 42 C)
Nausea and vomiting
Cramps in the limbs
Dry flushed, hot skin
The patient may become unconscious later on. When this happens he usually dies. When you see a patient with heatstroke proceed as follows.
Put him in the shade in the coolest and most cold clothes.
Undress him completely
Cover the head and back of the neck with a turban or towel when exposed to the sun for long periods.
If conscious provide cool water.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.