Different Types of Surveying Chains
Following are the various types of chain in common use:
1. Metric chains
2. Steel band or Band chain
3. Gunter's chain or surveyors chain
4. Engineers chain
5. Revenue chain
1. Metric Chain:
· Metric chains are made in lengths 20m and 30m. Tallies are fixed at every five-meter length and brass rings are provided at every meter length except where tallies are attached.
2. Gunter's Chain
· Length = 66' (22 yards), No of links = 100, Each link = .66'
· Used for measuring distances in miles or furlongs (220 yards), acres (Area).
3. Engineer's Chain
· Length = 100', No of links = 100, Each link = 1'
· Used in all Engineering Surveys.
4. Revenue Chain
· Length = 33', No of links = 16
· Commonly used for measuring fields in cadastral Survey.
Types of Measuring Tapes in Surveying
Tapes are made of different materials:
1. Cloth or linen tape
• Used for subsidiary measurements
• Very light, easy to handle
• May effect by moisture
2. Metric steel tape
• Made of steel
• Outer end is provided with a ring for holding
3. Invar tape
• Used for high precision work
• Made of alloy steel
4. Synthetic tape
• Made of glass fiber with PVC coating
• These are used for short measurements