Meristamatic tissue : Meristamaticcells compose the Meristamatic tissue. The cells of this tissue divide repeatedly. These tissues are found in the tress. Due to their presence plants increase in size very rapidly. Other permanent tissues are originated from Meristamatic tissue.
Characrteristics of Meristamatic tissues :
Characrteristics of Meristamatic tissues are as follows :
1. Cells possess the power of cell division.
2. Usually the cells are rectangular of oval.
3. Cell wall is made of cellulose and is thin.
4. Nucleus is large and the cytoplasm is denser.
5. Usually no vacuole is seen in the cell.
6. Usually there is no intercellular space in Meristamatic tissue, so the cells are arranged compactly.
Meristamatic tissues are present at the apex of roots and stems. According to their position they are Apical meristems and accroding to their origin they are Primary meristems, because they are originated from the embryonic stage.Stem and root increase in length by the division of cells of these tissues.
In the roots and stems of gymnosperms and dicotyledonous plants there develops a new Meristamatic tissue, they are called 'Secondary meristems. According to their position they are Secondary meristems. Due to the cell division of these tissues the breath of the root and stem increase i.e. the root and stem gradually become broader in breath
Copyright © 2018-2020 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.