V. Answer the questions briefly
1. Who were the three prominent dictators of the post World War I ?
• Mussolini (Italy)
• Hitler (Germany)
• Franco (Spain)
2. How did Hitler get the support from the people of Germany?
• By his impassioned speeches (He was gifted with oratorical skills)
• By promising a return to the glorious military past of Germany.
• He built his support on the notion of the racial superiority of the Germans as a pure 'Aryan' race and a deep- seated hatred of the Jews
3. Describe the Pearl Harbour incident.
• In December 1941, Japan attacked American naval installations in Pearl Harbour, Hawaii without any warning.
• The idea was to cripple America's Pacific fleet so that Japan would not face any opposition in its offensive against South-east Asian countries.
• Many battleships and numerous fighter planes were destroyed.
• It brought the United States into the war as a part of the Allies.
4. What do you know of Beveridge Report?
• In 1942 the Beveridge Report was published in the United Kingdom. It proposed a series of measures which the government should adopt to provide the citizens certain things.
• It included adequate income, health care, education, housing and employment to overcome poverty and disease.
5. Name the Bretton Woods Twins.
• The World Bank and the International Monetary Fund were referred to as the 'Bertton Woods Twins'.
• They were both established after the Bretton Woods Conference in 1944.
6. What are the objectives of IMF?
• To foster global monetary cooperation
• To secure financial stability
• To facilitate international, trade
• To promote high employment and sustainable economic growth
• To reduce poverty around the world