the effects of the World War II.
World War II began in 1939 and ended in 1945. It was a modern
war fought with heavy military equipment. The total death toll was 24 million
soldiers and 50 million civilians.
power alignment: World War II changed the world in
fundamental ways. The world was polarized into two main blocs led by super
• One was led by the United States (Anti Communist ideology)
• The other was led by Soviet Russia (Communist.ideology)
Europe was divided into Communist and Non-Communist
• The United States and the Soviet Union entered into a race to
have more nuclear powered weapons.
• They built a large stockpile of such weapons.
agencies: Many international agencies in particular the
United Nations, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund came into
existence providing a forum for countries large and small.
• Colonial powers were forced to give independence to former
colonies in a process of decolonization.
• India was the first country to achieve independence.
the structure and the activities of the UN.
The United Nations now has 193 member states and each one - big
or small has an equal vote in the United Nations.
The structure of
the United Nations:
• The organs of UN are similar to a government Legislative,
Executive and Judicial wings. The
General Assembly is the body in which each member state is represented.
• Next is the Security
Council. It has 5 permanent members and 10 temporary members. Major issues
and conflicts and discussed here.
• The Secretariat is the executive wing. It is headed by the
Secretary General. The Secretary General is elected by the General Assembly on
the recommendation of the Security Council.
Court of Justice:
• The International Court
of Justice is the judicial wing of the United Nations. It is located at The
Hague in Holland.
The Economic and
• The Economic and Social Council is the 5th organ of the U.N. It
co-ordinates all the economic and social works of the United Nations.
• FAO, WHO, UNESCO, UNICEF and UNDP are other special
organizations of the UN. They deal with areas like food, health, education and
Activities of the
• The United Nations has expanded its activities in response to
the changing problems facing the world.
• In the 1960s, decolonization was an important issue.
• Human rights, the problems of refugees, climate change, gender
equality are all now within the ambit of the activities of the UN.
• The UN Peace Keeping Force has acted in many areas of conflict
all over the world.
• As a part of the Peace Keeping Force Indian army has been
deployed in many parts of the world.
the Allies and Axis countries, as well as important battlefields of World War
II in a world map.
Mark the following on the world
Nagasaki, Hawai Island, Moscow, San Fransico