Time Dimensions in Managerial Jobs
• TIME DIMENSIONS IN MANAGERIAL JOB
• Bill May, ―President of American Company‖
• Time is the most valuable thing we deal with. It cannot be bought; it cannot be recaptured.
• It must be utilized with the highest degree of effectiveness possible. Time is the scarcest resource, and unless it is managed nothing else can be managed
• The concept has been viewed differently through the ages.
• The concept of time is an integral part of one‘s personality and culture
The objective of time management is to increase and optimize the use of your discretionary time. Time Management actually relates to:
• Getting the best out of your time
• Time management is the same as managing your life
• Life management
• Now management
• Managing your mind
Major areas that help in the management of time
• There are five major areas, which are imperative to improving the management of time:
1. The way we spend our time is habitual in nature
-the way you spend your time determines how you live your life, keep track of it(activity).-
Learn to control time- changing a habit
Analysis of time:
Payoff time- 50 % of Avg a day
Investment time – 25%
Org time- 15%
Wasted time 10 %
2.Setting personal goals
plan time by setting goals, about what we want to do – long term, short term goals. SMART
3. Priorities- reduces over committed, forces to delegate responsibilities to others to make best use of time
4. Proper communication- planned goals are executed, achieve clarity, understanding, commitment & creativity, proper upward & downward communication
5.Procrastination( blocking usage of time)- causes
• Difficult projects
Indecision- avoid unsatisfactory results
Principles of Time Management
• Establish goals, both long-term and short-term
• Principles of habit
• Principles of proper planning
• Principles of prioritization
• Principles of effectiveness
• Principles of equal distribution
• Time estimates
• Delegation of authority
• Proper implementation
• Follow up
• Time wasters
• Time wasters can be classified as internal time wasters and external time wasters.
Internal time wasters:
– Poor communication-written and verbal
– Inability to say ‗No‘
– Poor prioritizing
– Inadequate planning
– Failure to delegate
External time wasters
– Papers and correspondence
– Procedures and systems
Time Wasters with regard to Planning
• Lack of clarity on objectives
• Shifting priorities
• Unrealistic time estimates
• Lack of clarity about the job requirements.
• Poor crisis( emergency) management
• Inability to concentrate
• Ineffective delegation
Effective Time Management Techniques based on task orientation
Four kinds of tasks
• The various tasks and projects that managers, as well as staff administrators perform can be classified according to the two key dimensions as given
• One dimension is degree of difficulty and the second is duration of effort.( time estimation difficult)
• Degree of difficulty is broken down into simple tasks
• Duration of effort is broken down into short-term tasks which can be completed in less than an hour, and long term tasks which can take days, weeks or even months to finish.
The Three Laws of Time and Effort Management
The Three Laws of Time and Effort Management provide solution to the above stated problem.
– The Law for Planning our time
– The Law for applying our effort
– The Law for Investing our Talent- smart enough to distinguish important & unimportant tasks
Certain tips to managers on time management
– Start your day without a plan of action.
– TM is about doing right things faster & quicker
– Get out of balance in your life
– Health, family, financial, intellectual(thinker), social, professional, Spiritual – not neglected
– Work with a messy desk or work area
– Clean your desk to work better & effective way
– Don‘t get enough sleep.
– 75% complain tired, quantity of sleep they get but lack in quality of sleep. Plan your day & work your plan
– Don‘t take a lunch break.
– 15 min break – to avoid procrastination
Copyright © 2018-2020 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.