THE NORMAL PUERPERIUM
At the end of this chapter students will be able to:
· Define peurperium
· State physiological changes during peurperium
· Describe postnatal care given for mother and baby.
Defintion - Puerperium is period from the expulsion of theplacenta to the time the reproductive organs returns to pregravid state lasts 6 weeks.
Puerperium is characterized by the following features
· The reproductive organs return to the non pregnant state
· Other physiological changes occurred during pregnancy are reversed (Involution)
· Lactation is initiated
· Recuperation of the mother from the stress of pregnancy and delivery and assumes responsibility for the care & nurture of her infant.
The care which required during the puerperium should be based up on 3 main principles
· Promoting the physical well being of mother and baby
· Encouraging sound methods of infant feeding and promoting the developmenof good maternal and child relationship.
· Supporting and strengthens the mother’s confidence in herself and enabling her to fulfill her mothering role with in her particular, personal, family and Cultural situation.
Copyright © 2018-2020 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.