Definition: - When the placenta remains undelivered after aspecified period of time usually half to one hour following the boy’s birth having left the upper uterine segment.
· Poor uterine contraction
· Hours glass contraction: a contraction ring in the third stage caused by giving ergometrine and not expelling the placenta in time
· Full bladder
· Mismanagement of third stage of labour.
· Careful observation - check pulse
- Vaginal bleeding
- Check bladder
· Gently try to deliver by controlled cord traction
· If not manual removal followed by antibiotics
Method:-Place one hand on the fundus to support the uterus, let the other hand follow the cord until it reaches the placenta move hand up to the edge of placenta and find where it is partiality separated (remember it would not be bleed if it is not separated) then move your hand up and down, until you have it, completely separated then bring it out in your hand, examine it.