Ready Made Garments
The garments which are available readily in the shops for different age groups with varied colour combinations, up to date styles, latest prints, and trims and also suitable for different occasions and seasons are known as readymade garments. Ready -to-wear is the transition from handmade sewing and tailor-made garments to standardization of sizes for mass production.
Readymade clothing had its beginning in the United States between 1825 and 1830. The first manufacturing establishment in New York City was founded by George Opdyke, a former mayor. He opened a factory on Hudson Street in 1831. By 1835, there were several manufacturers of medium grade ready to wear clothes for men in New York; however, the quantities produced were small, and everything was done by hand. The south became an early market for readymade clothes before 1840.
The improvement in ready-made clothing, the wider choice of styles and fabrics, and the ease with which such clothing can be secured have encouraged mainly the homemakers to purchase family wardrobes of ready to wear apparel.
In the present changing life style, each and every member in the family likes to follow latest trend with regard to their wardrobe. They want to dress up neatly and like to display their status. In today’s fast moving life, it is difficult to take the time for getting clothes stitched. We have to go to the market to buy a fabric, look for a toiler order stitching and wait till the dress is ready. To overcome this problem we have an alternative method of buying a readymade dress. Almost for all occasions family members prefer to buy their garments from the leading readymade shops. They are abundantly available for all the age groups. Suitable accessories are also available along with the garments.
· They are readily available in many places
· Numerous variety in style and materials are possible
· Garments for various seasons and occasions could be purchased whenever necessary
· Saves times spent on construction as in case of tailor made and homemade garments
· Latest trends in fashion could be updated
· Branded goods could be purchased on availability
· Easy care of fabrics is possible with suitable label instructions
· Customers can try out the garments for their personal fitting
· Knowledge about proper size is required before getting readymade garments
· Garments may not match the taste of the buyer
· Proper fitting is not possible sometimes due to wrong size
· Expensive than tailor and home-made garments
· In some cases, the readymade garments are less durable due to poor quality in stitching