Read and Understand
A. Choose the correct synonyms for the italicized words.
1. I was really scared.
2. Let us browse about it.
[Answer: a. surf ]
3. There is a chance to get addicted.
4. we can’t ignore the benefits of internet.
5. She gathered the information from the internet.
[Answer: b. collect]
B. Choose the correct antonyms for the italicized words.
1. The explosion had weakened the building’s foundations.
2. A stranger was roaming around the street.
a. well known
[Answer: a. well
3. Vairavan is having a spot of bother with law.
[Answer: d. pleasing]
4. He asked the manager to improve the facility in the hall.
d. short coming
[Answer: d. short
5. A good diet is beneficial to health.
[Answer: c. harmful]
C. Fill in the blanks.
1. Internet is a great tool where, one can gather information.
2. Gladin is gathering information for his science project.
3. Childern should use internet wisely.
4. We should keep our personal details very private in the internet.
5. We should not get addicted to internet or mobile, the power house of entertainment.
D. Say true or false.
1. Gladin's mom knew how screw guage works. [Answer: False]
2. We use internet to gather information and gain knowledge. [Answer: True]
3. Rani was frightened of an online predator. [Answer: True]
4. Strangers don’t misuse your information. [Answer: False]
5. Do not give your name, address, telephone number to the strangers. [Answer: True]
6. Too much of anything is good for nothing. [Answer: True]
E. Answer the following questions in a sentence or two.
1. Why did Gladin’s mom ask him to browse?
Answer: Gladin’s mom asked Gladin to browse to know about the working of a screw gauge.
2. Why do we use internet?
Answer: We use internet to gather information and gain knowledge.
3. What was Rani afraid of ?
Answer: Rani was afraid of a stranger chatting with her every day, using bad words.
4. What was father’s advice to Rani?
Answer: Her father advised Rani not to respond to the stranger’s message.
5. Who is an online predator?
Answer: An online predator is a person who sexually exploits a child over the internet.
6. What was father’s instruction to Gladin and Rani?
Answer: He instructed them never to chat with any unknown person. Never to share their personal details with any stranger.
7. What do strangers do with our personal information?
Answer: The strangers may use our profile and misuse our information, without our knowledge.
8. What are the benefits of computer?
Answer: The computer connects us to the internet, helps us to learn and keeps us informed. It saves time, improves our ability and keeps us entertained.
F. Answer the following in about 100 words.
1. How should one use the technology of the present world?
Answer: One should use the technology of the present world carefully and wisely. It is beneficial to all of us. But we face some negative effects, while using it Online facilities are for sharing information or knowledge among known members. We should never chat with anybody, until we know them. They could be our classmates, friends and family members, we should keep our personal details very private. Strangers may use our profile and misuse our information without our knowledge. Internet or mobile helps us to connect with people around the world. They allow us to watch various activities. But too much of anything is not good for us.
2. What happens if someone is addicted to mobile phone?
Answer: Mobile phones help us to get connected with the people around us. They allow us to watch movies, listen to music, play games and enjoy various other activities. But there is a chance to get addicted to this powerhouse of entertainment. Mobile addiction causes several serious problems such as headache, weekend eyesight and sleep disorders. We also get depressed and have a stressed life. Problems like social isolation, aggressive behaviour, financial problems and ruined relationship are also caused. Our profession is also affected by the addiction of mobiles.
3. "We can't ignore the benefits of internet and mobile phone" Justify.
Answer: We can’t ignore the benefits of internet and mobile phones to our life, educationally and socially. They help us to connect with people around the world. They allow us to watch movies, listen to music, play games and enjoy various other activities. Internet helps us to gather information and gain knowledge, Online facilities are for sharing knowledge and information among known members. We should never chat with anybody until we know them like classmates, friends and family members. We should also limit the usage of internet and mobile phone to take charge of our lives.
Give very short answers :
1. What did Gladin want to know?
Answer: Gladin wanted to know the working of a screw gange.
2. What was the name of Gladin’s sister?
Answer: Her name was Rani.
3. Why was Gladin gathering information in the internet?
Answer: He was gathering information for his science project.
4. Does the stranger know Rani’s name?
Answer: Yes, The stranger knows Rani’s name.
5. Who advises the children?
Answer: The father advises the children.
6. What did he advise?
Answer: He advises them never to chat with strangers.
7. What does the mother request her husband?
Answer: She requested him to advise their children how to use internet wisely.
8. What are the power houses of entertainment?
Answer: Internet and the mobile are the power houses of entertainment.
9. Is too much of anything is good?
Answer: No, too much of anything is not good.
10. Can we ignore the beneficial of internet and mobile phones?
Answer: No, we can’t ignore the beneficial of internet and mobile phones.
Give short answers :
1. What is an Internet?
Answer: An Internet is a great tool where we can gather information to gain knowledge.
2. What does the stranger do?
Answer: The stranger chats with Rani everyday. He uses bad words and tells Rani not to disclose about him to anyone. Otherwise, he will cause harm to her family members.
3. How does the internet or mobile entertain us?
Answer: The internet or mobile allow us to watch movies, listen to music, play games and enjoy various other activities.
4. Why should we limit the usage of internet or mobile phone?
Answer: We should limit the usage of internet or mobile phone to take charge of our lives.
5. What personal details should be very private?
Answer: Our photos, phone number, aadhar number and our interests should be very private.
Answer in detail
1. What did Rani’s father advise her about the stranger?
Answer: Rani got scared of a stranger, who used to chat with her everyday. Rani said that he knew her name, address, age and everything. He also used bad words, while chatting with her. So her father advised her not to respond to strangers message, even if he continuously disturbed her. After some days, he might not chat, Still if he tried to disturb her, her father would take care of him. Her father would talk to his parents. So her father told Rani not to worry about the stranger ahymore.