The birth of a live, healthy baby at the end of pregnancy is the goal of prenatal care. To achieve this, the woman must have adequate care during pregnancy. The root of maternal and child care lies in the care of the woman during pregnancy. In this unit, we shall define antenatal care and discuss the adequate care that the woman requires to have a pleasant pregnancy experience with minimal discomfort during the antenatal period.
This is the advice, supervision and attention given to a pregnant woman from the time of conception is confirmed until the beginning of labor. Antenatal care is a part of preventive medium and should be conducted by both the Midwife and the Doctor, each with clearly defined roles towards the achievement of the same goals.
By the end of this discussion you will be able to:
· Diagnose pregnancy and confirm pregnancy
· Obtain ante natal history
· Give optimal care during pregnancy
· Teach positive health practice during pregnancy
· Detect problems associated with pregnancy and treat them promptly