Health and Diseases (Science)
Points to Remember
· Use of certain drugs by an individual as a regular habit. This is called drug addiction or drug abuse.
· Tobacco is used for smoking, chewing and snuffing. Inhaling tobacco smoke is called smoking.
· The dependence of alcohol is called alcoholism and the addict is termed as alcoholic.
· Prolonged use of alcohol depresses the nervous system, by acting as a sedative and analgesic substance and causes fatty liver (cirrhosis).
· Diabetes mellitus is a chronic metabolic disorder. It is characterised by increased blood glucose level due to insufficient, deficient or failure of insulin secretion and insulin resistance.
· Obesity is the state in which there is an accumulation of excess body fat with an abnormal increase in body weight.
· Coronary heart disease is the most common form and is caused by deposition of cholesterol in the blood vessels.
· Cancer is an abnormal and uncontrolled division of cells that invade and destroy surrounding tissue forming a tumor or neoplasm.
· AIDS is caused by Human immunodeficiency virus.