Left lateral position
The woman lies on her left side with the buttocks at the edge of the bed and leg slightly flexed. The midwives stands behind the patient facing her feet while the assistant raises, the leg sufficiently enough to take the cot of the midwife’s hand, she passes her hand between the thighs down to the vulva. The rest of the delivery is the same with the other method.
1. Immediate care of the eyes: Immediately the baby’s head is born the eyes are cleaned with sterile swabs and water, from within out using one swab at a time.
2. Establishment of Respiration: Aim is to promote clear airways by wiping the mucus from the nose and mouth to allow the baby to cry. Tilt at an angle of 450 head down or complete upside down for a few seconds to drain mucus and liquor amni from the mouth. Suck the oropharynx, rub the back gently and flick the sole of the feet if baby does not cry immediately.
3. Note the time of delivery Do the Apgar scoring.
4. Double clamp the cord cut and ligate.
5. Show the baby to the mother for identification of sex
6. Provision of warmth wipe the body and wrap with sterile towel.
7. Label the baby
8. Weigh the baby.
The vulva is swabbed and perineum examined for any laceration place the receiver for placenta in situ. While you assess for signs of excessive bleeding while you observe the mother for placenta separation.