Health Care Delivery System in India
Health is a fundamental human right and public right. Hence it implies that the state authority has a responsibility for the health of its people. Also we are aware that social, economical, political and environmental factors have an impact on the health care delivery system of any country because it influence growth and development of that particular country. National government of all the countries around the globe are striving to improve and expand their health care delivery services. Nearly all governments of the world have recognized these principles. The current drawback is that they are, urban oriented, curative in nature and it is accessible only to a limited population.
In country like India, health care is completely a government affair. Since independence, India has created a vast public health infrastructure comprising of several sub centres, public health centres, community health centres. It is estimated that this vast infrastructure is benefitted to only 20% of the population and the remaining 80% of the health care needs are still being provided by the private health sectors. A health system also sometimes referred as health care system is the organization of people, institution and resources that deliver health care services to meet the health needs of the people.
In the past most individuals and societies viewed good health or wellness as the opposite or absence of disease. Health is highly desirable state for all human being. Health is an individual perception; it has many meaning and views differently to different people. Wellness is the condition in which an individual functions at optimal level. In both developed and developing countries, currently the aim is not only to reach the whole population with sufficient and adequate health care services but also to secure an acceptable level of health for all through the application of primary health care programs.
WHO has identified the inequalities in the access of health care among the people especially in developing and under developing country. Necessary measures to be taken to improve in these aspects and to avoid discrimination. The challenge that exists today in many countries is to reach the whole population with adequate health care services and to ensure their utilization.