Introducing the test specialist
By supporting a test group an organization acquires leadership in areas that relate to testing and quality issues. For example, there will be staff with the necessary skills and motivation to be responsible for:
• maintenance and application of test policies;
• development and application of test-related standards;
• participating in requirements, design, and code reviews;
• test planning;
• test design;
• test execution;
• test measurement;
• test monitoring (tasks, schedules, and costs);
• defect tracking, and maintaining the defect repository;
• acquisition of test tools and equipment;
• identifying and applying new testing techniques, tools, and methodologies;
• mentoring and training of new test personnel;
• test reporting.
The staff members of such a group are called test specialists or test engineers.