Importance of biodiversity - Global and India
Biodiversity is the variety of life on earth.
That is, it is the number of different species of flora and fauna including microorganisms. These organisms can inhabit different ecosystems with varying conditions like the Rainforests, Coral reefs, Grasslands, Deserts, Tundra and the Polar ice caps. This variety (Biodiversity) is essential for the wellbeing of our planet and sustenance of life as a whole.
The importance of biodiversity can be viewed and measured as
a) Ecosystem services b) Biological resources c) Social benefits of biodiversity
The organization and functioning of ecosystems world over is effected and dependent on biodiversity and its richness. The major functional attributes are:
· continuity of nutrient cycles or biogeochemical cycles (N2, C, H2O, P, S cycles)
· soil formation, conditioning or maintenance of soil health (fertility) by soil microbial diversity along with the different trophic members
· increases ecosystem productivity and provide food resources
· act as water traps, filters, water flow regulators and water purifiers (forest cover and vegetation)
· climate stability (forests are essential for rainfall, temperature regulation, CO2 absorption, which in turn regulate the density and type of vegetation)
· forest resource management and sustainable development
· maintaining balance between biotic components
· cleaning up of pollutants – microbes are the biggest degraders of molecules including many anthropogenic ones which are present in effluents, sewage, garbage and agro-chemicals
· ecological stability – the varieties and richness of species contribute to ecological stability and survival of species. Biodiverse regions are reservoirs of biological resources like food resources, gene pool, genetic resource, medicinal resources, bio-prospecting
· to provide unique aesthetic value and hot spots for Ecotourism. Along with forest resources and wildlife it has commercial significance
· an indicator of the health of the ecosystem. Endemism is a crucial indicator of richness.
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.