Social Science : Economics
AGRICULTURE IN TAMILNADU
IV. Give short answers
1- Give two examples for each food crops and non-food crops
Food crops : 1. Paddy 2. Maize
Non - food crops : 1. Cocount 2. Cotton
2. What are the factors responsible for the changes in cropping area?
The size of cropping land in Tamil Nadu is 4544 thousand hectares. It keeps on changing year to year.
• Sufficient rains at the proper period increases this extent of land.
• Failure or shortage in rainfall leads to reduction in the land usage for cultivation. Thus the major factor responsible for change in crop area is rainfall.
3. Who monitors the quantity and quality of ground water?
The Urban Water Board is monitoring the quantity and quality of ground water.
4. Differentiate between small and marginal farmers.
1. Farmers who cultivate 1-2 hectares of land is called small farmers.
2. Of the total farmers 14% are small farmers.
3. They cultivate 26% of the total land.
1. Farmers who cultivate 1 hectare of land is called marginal farmers.
2. Of the total farmers 78% are marginal farmers.
3. They cultivate 36% of the total land.