![if !IE]> <![endif]>
The quality of digital transmission systems are evaluated using the bit error rate. Degradation of quality occurs in each process modulation, transmission, and detection. The eye pattern is experimental method that contains all the information concerning the degradation of quality. Therefore, careful analysis of the eye pattern is important in analyzing the degradation mechanism.
• Eye patterns can be observed using an oscilloscope. The received wave is applied to the vertical deflection plates of an oscilloscope and the sawtooth wave at a rate equal to transmitted symbol rate is applied to the horizontal deflection plates, resulting display is eye pattern as it resembles human eye.
• The interior region of eye pattern is called eye opening
We get superposition of successive symbol intervals to produce eye pattern as shown below.
• The width of the eye opening defines the time interval over which the received wave can be sampled without error from ISI
• The optimum sampling time corresponds to the maximum eye opening
• The height of the eye opening at a specified sampling time is a measure of the margin over channel noise.
The sensitivity of the system to timing error is determined by the rate of closure of the eye as the sampling time is varied. Any non linear transmission distortion would reveal itself in an asymmetric or squinted eye. When the effected of ISI is excessive, traces from the upper portion of the eye pattern cross traces from lower portion with the result that the eye is completely closed.
Binary-PAM Perfect channel (no noise and no ISI)
Example of eye pattern: Binary-PAM with noise no ISI
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.