IN EVERYDAY LIFE
Prof. Vladimir Prelog was a Swiss Chemist who shared 1975
Nobel Prize for Chemistry with John W Cornforth for his work on Stereo
Chemistry. He has done wide ranging research on alkaloids, antibiotics, enzymes
and other natural compounds. He was distinguished for his contribution to the
development of modern stereo chemistry.
Prelog synthesized many natural products and worked on
problems of stereo chemistry like adamenline, boromycin analoids and rifamycins
studying this unit, the students will be able to
• recognize the term drug and chemotherapy
• classify the drugs based on their properties
• describe the drug-target interaction.
• discuss some important classes of drugs.
• explain the chemistry of cleansing agents
• describe the chemicals in food
• explain the important terms in polymer chemistry.
• describe the preparation of some important synthetic polymers
• appreciate the importance of polymers in today life
Chemistry touches every aspect of our lives. The three-basic requirement
of our life: food, clothes, shelter are all basically chemical compounds.
Infact, life itself is a complicated system of interrelated chemical process.
In this unit, we will learn the chemistry involved in the field of medicines,
food materials, cleansing agents and polymers.