![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Bow is a fashionable accessory used on garments. It is a common trimming found in hats. Bows add beauty and enhancement to the finished garments. These are made of fabric and used with buttons at times. They are usually added to girls and women garments. Wedding gowns, hats and party wear dresses are always designed with bows. Bows create a beautiful girlish look when worn.
Bows are classified into three types based on the construction. They are as follows;
· Simple Bows
· Gathered Bows
· Ribbon Bows
A simple bow is shaped like a butterfly. Sometimes it looks like a longer flowery bow. The wider the bow, the longer is the length required for tying the bow. Normally, the finished edges are wider than the middle part which is narrower. A wide finished width is required with turnings and neat finishing. This is one of the most attractive types of bow.
· Cut the fabric in cross grain and Fold the fabric in lengthwise pattern
· Shape as per the design
· Place the fabric right sides together and sew the ends
· Leave 5 cms (2 inches) unstitched at the center
· Trim the seam allowance to 0.6cm, slit corners and press seam lines neatly
· Turn the material inside out through the unstitched opening
· Slip stitch the unstitched opening
· Fold into half and mark the center point with a pin.
· Make a loop
· Take the right loop in the right hand, left loop in the left hand and bend loops forward. Take right loop over the left loop and bring it out between the loops exactly at the pin marking
· Drag tightly until both the loops are even in size.
Simple bows with laces, embroidery or shirring create an excellent trimming for the plain garments. When the fabric is soft and needs a little stiffening, a layer of organdy or canvas can be used. Shapes can be created as desired.
· Cut the fabric in cross grain and fold the fabric in lengthwise pattern
· Introduce gathers following the technique given below;
❍❍ Run two or more lines of long stitches through the center line
❍❍ Attach a thread elastic along the center line to gather
❍❍ Attach a lace or any trimming along the edges of fabric
❍❍ Sew the raw edges with a neat stitch
❍❍ Edges can be finished with a string of stones.
Bows are made of ribbon, cords, lace or fabric tubing. These bows are placed at sleeves, pockets, yokes, collars, hem line, neck line and waist line for simple decoration. These types of bows are easy to make and are beautiful.
· Cut required length of ribbon
· Form two loops
· Adjust the length of the tails to equal length
· Take a left loop over the right loop and pull it gently
· Tack the position with invisible stitches and complete.
Bows add attention and variation to the garment. A simple garment is emphasised with a big bow. Children like belts and bows. This differs depending upon age, sex, and nationality. Usually children garment are designed with soft and silky bows. Bows are aslo made of various material and they add aesthetic look to the garment.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.