Social Science : History
V. Answer the following questions briefly
1. What was the condition of labourers' houses during Industrial Revolution?
• The housing was tiny, dirty, and sickly for the labouring class.
• Workers had no time to clean or change their own atmosphere, leading to the outbreak of typhoid, cholera, and smallpox.
2. Account for urbanisation in England
• England become the workshop of the world with the advent of the Industrial Revolution.
• Because of the decline in agriculture resulted the flow of population to industrial towns.
• The important social changes were
• Population growth
• Small towns became large cities. The population growth of London was 2 Million in 1840 to 5 million in 40 years.
3. Attempt a note on Haymarket Massacre
• In chicaps there was labour protest on May 4, 1886 at Haymarket square in support of an eight hour day work.
• The peaceful rally resulted in the killing of several workers by the police.
• In memory of this massacre May l, 1887 is observed as the Labour Day (or) May Day (or) International worker's Day.
4. What do you know of Louis Renault?
Louis Renault built the quadricycle in 1898 and then he produced in large quantities, (the Society Renault Freses - Company Renault Brothers)
5. Highlight any twro important results of Industrial Revolution.
• Impact an Environment: The use of chemicals and fossil fuels that replaced wind, water and firewood resulted increased air and water pollution. The Industrial Revolution marked a major turning point in earth ecology and humans’ relationship with the environment.
• Urbanisation : With the advent of Industrial Revolution, England become the workshop of the world. The decline in agriculture resulted in the flow of population from villages to industrial towns. Population growth migration and urbanisation were the social changes