K. How do you cook rice in your house?
Fill in the gaps in this recipe for cooking rice. Use the words in the box.
wash boil water heat keep rice lid low water more ready
What you'll need
* 1 cup uncooked white rice
* 2 cups water
* pinch of salt
How to make it
1. Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
2. Drain the water and keep aside.
3. In a medium sized pan, bring water to boil.
4. Add the salt, stir, and then add the rinsed and drained water.
5. Reduce the heat, cover the rice, and let it simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
6. Check after 15 minutes to see if all the water has evaporated. If it has, the rice is ready.
7. If not, replace the rice and let the rice simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Remove from lid and serve.
L. Work in groups.
* Discuss how your mother cooks rice in your house.
* Write down the ingredients you need like rice and water.
* List the steps in cooking. The words in the recipe above will help you.
* Each person in the group should tell others how rice is cooked in their house.
* Now write down the recipe.
M. Your mother has written a message for you before going out. Write a message to her after finishing your lunch.
Your mother's message
Your lunch is in the kitchen. Please warm it and eat it. There is some curd in the pot if you want it. Clean up the kitchen after you finish eating. I will be back at 4 p.m. You can go out to play at 3.30 p.m. if you want but be back by 5.30 p.m.
Write about the following in your message.
* You ate lunch 1 P.M..
* What you liked curry (mention the dish).
* You have cleaned the kitchen after finished eating.
* You are going out to play. But be back by 5.30 pm (mention when you will be back).