A Visitor from Distant Lands
READ AND UNDERSTAND
A. Work in pairs. Tick the best option.
1. When Amma said,'Don’t upset our foreign visitor' she meant ___________________.
2. Selvi asked, 'Did they come in an aeroplane?' because she ___________________.
a) was joking
b) did not understand her mother
c) thought it would be fun
3. Amma bought the vegetables from the ___________________.
b) shopping mall
c) super market
B. Answer these questions.
1. Who first brought these vegetables to India?
The Portuguese brought vegetables first to India.
2. Who came to India from Portugal in search of pepper?
Vasco da Gama came to India from Portugal in search of
3. What did Amma mean when she said tomatoes, ladies' fingers and corn came from other countries?
Mani's teacher told the students that they show buy and eat locally grown food. So Mani said to his mother that he does not want to eat potato because they are foreign vegetables. This made to tell Mani that tomatoes, ladies finger and corn which Mani likes are also belong to other countries.
C. Read the comic strip again. Make groups of four and frame some questions on what you have read. Each group should ask a question in turns. You cannot repeat the same question. The team which asks more questions is the winner.
1. Which are the foreign vegetables mentioned?
2. What was sad for Columbus?
D. Discuss in groups and share your views in three or four sentences with others in the class.
* What is your favourite dish? Do you know the spices that go into it?