VI. Write Brief Answer
are the important characteristics of successful industrial clusters?
• Geographical proximity of small and medium enterprises (SMEs)
• Sectoral specialisation
• Close inter-firm collaboration
• Inter-firm competition based on innovation
• A socio-cultural identity, which facilitates trust
• Multi-skilled workforce
• Active self-help organisations
• Supportive regional and municipal governments.
about the Textile industry cluster in Tamil Nadu?.
• Tamil Nadu is home to the largest textiles sector in the
• Because of the development of cotton textile since the
colonial period, Coimbatore is referred to as the Manchester of South India.
• At present most of the spinning mills have moved around
• Tamil Nadu is the biggest producer of cotton yarn in India.
• A large number of power loom units are located in Erode and
• Tiruppur has a number of firms producing cotton knitwear.
• If accounts for nearly 80% of Indias cotton knitwear exports.
• It is a major producer for domestic market also.
• It is one of the most dynamic clusters in South India.
• Karur is a major center of exports of home furnishings like
table cloth, curtains, bedcovers and towels.
• In Bhavani and Kumarapalayam carpets are produced for domestic
and global markets.
• Traditional clusters like Madurai and Kanchipuram are famous
for silk and cotton handloom sarees.
in detail about the types of policies adopted by the Tamil Nadu government to
• Industries require skilled human resources.
• To promote literacy and basic arithmetic skills, the state
supplies vast technical human resources.
• The state has a number of engineering colleges, polytechnics
and industrial training centres.
• The electrification has contributed to the spread of
industrialisation to smaller towns and villages in the state.
• Another excellent known infrastructure is transport,
especially minor roads that connect rural parts of the state to nearby towns
• Rural to Urban connectivity helps the small producers to
market better because of the combined public and private transport.
• Apart from this, active policey efforts were made to promote
specific sectors and also industrialisation in specific regions.
• Policies have been formulated to promote specific sectors like
automobile, auto components, biotechnology and information and communication technology.
• The state has put in place several industrial promotion agencies to provide supporting infrastructure to large, small and medium enterprises.
4. Explain the role of
Enterpreneurs play a most important role in the economic growth
and development of a country's economy.
• They promote development of industries and help to remove
regional disparities by industrialising rural and backward areas.
• They help the country to increase the GDP and Per capita
• They promote capital formation by mobilising the idle savings
of the citizens and country's export trade.
• Entrepreneurs provide large-scale employment to artisans,
technically qualified persons and professionals and try to maximise profit by
• They enable the people to avail better quality goods at lower
prices, which results in the improvement of their standard of living,
a cluster in Tamil Nadu based on online research and write a note on it.
a note on a cluster or a firm near your school/home based on your observations.
and Students discuss about the entrepreneurs and their activities and Write an
a essay in the topic of “If you are like a Entrepreneur”.