Vacuum Extraction - Ventouse
This is a procedure performed to aid extraction of the fetus by suction cup applied to the scalp. It is an alternative instrument to forceps and it was introduced by Malstrom. Hence the name “Malstrom vacuum Extractor’.
The apparatus consist of a suction cup attached by a chain, running through a rubber tube to a metal handle connected by a rubber tubing to a glass containing pressure gauge and a hand or electric pump. The mental cup is in four sizes 30, 40, 50 and 60mm in diameter. Depending on the dilatation of the cervix the biggest is used because the longer the cup the greater the suction area and the extractive force that can be applied.
1. Delay in 2nd stage of labour
2. Delay with the 2nd twin.
3. Deep transverse arrest of the head.
4. To rotate head in occipito-posterior position.
5. To facilitate full dilatation of the Cervix in prolonged labour and mild fetal distress and maternal exhaustion, maternal conditions like – Diabetes, cardiac disease hyperte nsion.
The presentation is determined by abdominal examinations. Head should be engaged. Local anaesthesia is got ready, Episiotomy tray, Resuscitation tray, Vaccum Extrator set is ready.
1. Face or breech presentation
2. Urgent fetal distress in 2nd stage.
4. Premature baby
Danger: Necrosisis of the scalp, cephalhaematous ,cerebral trauma , tentorial tear. Intracranial haemorrhage due to prolong application of the cup:
Trauma to the bladder neck or vaginal wall.