Symptoms of the diseases of the spinal cord :
· lWeakness or paralysis of the lower limbs.lTingling sensation in the entire leg.
· L Weakness in all the four limbs.
· Retention of urine and\or stool or loss of bladder or bowel control.
· Continuous pain in any part of the hands or legs.
· The patient may remain unaware even if his footwear comes off (loss of sensation) or a feeling of cushioning of the feet, burning sensation, sensation of ants crawling over the legs or hands.
· The wasting of the muscles of hands and legs, etc.
The symptoms of spinal cord diseases are mainly seen as a syndrome and are very obvious, hence the diagnosis is usually clear. These diseases are known as Myelopathy.
If there is damage in the part of the spinal cord situated between the cervical vereabrae, it is known as cervicalmyelopathy in which the normal movements as well as thesensations of the legs and hands get hampered. If there isany damage to the part of the spinal cord situated between the thoracic vereabra, only the movement and sensations of one or both of the legs are affected. There may be problems in bowel and bladder movements. This is known as DorsalMyelopathy.