Keywords: Take away, Left, Subtract, Difference, Less
Teacher's note: Teacher narrates the above pictures for enhancing the vocabularies such as difference, less, move away, go away to denote subtraction.
Subtraction means to take away!
' −' is the sign of subtraction.
Complete the subtraction fact by circling.
Complete the subtraction fact by striking.
Subtraction using lines
6 - 1 = 5
5 - 2 = 3
9 - 4 = 5
Subtraction using beads
5 – 1 = 4
6 – 1 = 5
5 – 2 = 3
9 - 4 = 5
Create your own subtraction fact
Fill the boxes to get 3.
Mind math (Oral)
1. Pari bought 7 bananas. His brother ate 2 of them. How many bananas are left with Pari?
7 – 2 = 5 bananas
2. Mani bought 6 eggs. 3 of them were broken. How many eggs are left?
6 – 3 = 3 egges
3. Thendral is 8 years old. Her sister Nila is 2 years younger than her. How old is Nila?
8 − 2 = 6 years old
Think like a mathematician
How can I fill these boxes using the numbers 8,5,,3 ?
Fill the circle by + or −
I am more than 5 and less than 8. I am not 7. Who am I?
Aim: Creating subtraction stories.
Things needed: Flash card with subtraction facts like
1. Divide the class into two groups.
2. Let the students from one group pick up the card from the deck and show it to the other group.
3. Students from that group have to make a subtraction story for that card.
4. This activity can be interchanged between the groups and continued.
Teacher's note: Teacher can encourage the children to tell stories on addition and subtraction on their own. This encourages mathematical communication in the classroom.