After the completion of this lesson, students will be able to:
* understand the production of sound.
* explain the propagation of sound in a medium.
* analyse the properties of sound.
* explain the wave nature of sound.
* know about the mechanism of hearing.
* discuss about noise pollution and the ways to control it.
We hear variety of sounds in our daily life. Thundering of clouds, chirping of birds, mewing of cats, rustling of leaves, music on the radio and television and noise of vehicles are some of the sounds that all of us are familiar with. Each sound has particular characteristics. Sound enables us to communicate with each other. Animals also communicate with other members of their species with the help of sound. Some sounds like music are pleasing to us and we like to hear them. But some sounds, for example noise in our surrounding is undesired. In this lesson we will study about the production and propagation of sound, human voice system, hearing, noise pollution and the ways to control it.