Significance of Mitosis:
The significance of mitosis in the living world is unlimited. Some of them are described here:
1. Growth of the body: Growth of the body of a living being takes place bymitotic division. A unicellular zygote is transformed to a human body consisting of millions of cells. A small zygote forms a large Banyan tree.
2. Maintaining equality of Chromosome number: By this division thenumber and properties of a chromosome in each cell of a multicellular body remains constant.
3. Keeping the size and shape constant: By this division the definite shapeand size of the cell remains constant.
4. Healing of injuries: By producing new cells this process repairs the varioustypes of damage of multicellular organisms.
5. Formation of sex organs: By this process sex organs are formed. As aresult, continuity of reproductive sequence is maintained.
6. Qualitative stability: Qualitative stability is maintained by mitosis.
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.