![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Technology is a double edged sword. In this day and age, it is not possible to restrict the children totally from using the digital technologies. But some sort of checks and balances should be maintained at all times.
Given below is a text on "Cyber safety" developed from the inputs received from Crime- Branch Crime Investigation Department (CBCID), Tamilnadu dated: 05.12.2018. Read the text and answer the questions that follow.
Question 1: How should teenagers guard against cyber crimes?
· Desist from interacting with strangers on social media and never meet strangers in person pursuant to social media chat/interaction.
· Avoid having your picture as profile picture. Even if you choose to have one, do so while restricting those persons who can see your profile picture.
· Do not download software's/Apps from unknown sources. Do not download unnecessary apps in the devices.
· Be a member of social media group or whatsapp group only if you know majority of members in it and also if it is relevant to be part of the group. Do not believe and blindly share message in social media without verifying the facts.
· Keep front camera of mobile phones, laptops etc., closed when not used. For Example, Stickers may be used to close the camera and to avoid remote access of front camera.
Question 2: What should we do to ensure Safe Surfing?
❖ Use a secure browser.
❖ Do not surf unsecure websites. A website with URL starting with https:// is a secure website. If the website URL starts only as http://, it is unsecure.
❖ Avoid clicking on links from unknown mails/pop ups.
❖ Do not enter passwords when connected to a public network (WiFi in Railway station or Airports)
❖ Always use a computer in which updated Anti Virus is installed.
Question 3: What are the details not to be revealed in public domain ?
❖ Bank account /credentials
❖ Credit card/Debit card details
❖ Personal mobile number
❖ Date of Birth
❖ Any details which would help to track your routine activities
Question 4: What should parents do to ensure the safety of children in cyber space ?
❖ Set a fixed time during which children are allowed to surf the internet.
❖ Always place the computer in that part of the house, which is visited most often by everyone. Don't keep the computer in a secluded part.
❖ Talk with the children and educate them on the websites that they are allowed / not allowed to visit.
❖ Be "Friends" with the children's social media account so that their activities are monitored.
❖ Install an Anti Virus with parental control in the computer.
❖ Make it a habit to check browsing history/hidden files, apps installed etc., on the computer/ device to monitor activity of the children.
Question 5: Should children be discouraged from playing online games?
❖ Encourage children to play outdoor games.
❖ Monitor closely if they are found playing a single game for long hours.
❖ Watch out for early signs of addiction to games such as
✦ Decreasing Academic activity
✦ Less time spent with family
✦ Loss of interest in things previously enjoyed.
✦ Lack of sleep / Sore Eyes Headaches
❖ Create awareness about the ill-effects of dangerous online games.
1. Which of the following should one avoid while using social media? Tick against the correct options.
✦ Interacting with strangers on social media
✦ Avoid posting your picture as profile picture
✦ Forwarding Whatsapp messages without verifying facts
✦ Use a secure browser
✦ Entering passwords while using public network
2. How can we identify insecure websites?
If the website URL starts only as http://, it is unsecure.
3. Mention any three details that should not be revealed in public domain.
i. Any passwords
ii. Bank account details
iii. Credit card / debit card details
4. What should parents do to ensure cyber safety for their wards ? (Any three points)
i) Always place the computer in same part of the
house, which is visited most often by everyone. Don’t keep the computer in a secluded part.
ii) Talk with children and educate them on the
websites that they are allowed / not allowed to visit.
iii) Make it a habit to check browsing history / hidden
files, apps installed etc... on the computer/ device to monitor activity of the
5. Why is it not advisable to play online games?
i) As it decreases academic activity, ii)
headaches iii) Lack of sleep / sore eyes.
6. Pick out words which mean the same as
a) atop doing something (para 1) - Desist
b) place or fix (para 2) - installed
c) not protected (para 2) - unsecure
d) keep a check on (para 3) - track
What you need to know about "Ethical Hacking"
Hacking generally refers to unauthorized intrusion into a computer or a network. The person engaged in hacking activities is known as a hacker. This hacker may alter system or security features to accomplish a goal that differs from the original purpose of the system. Hackers employ a variety of techniques.
How to safeguard?
To safeguard against hacking of personal data, it is suggested that the system should be installed with upto date Anti Virus. If the data is confidential in nature it is suggested that the system itself should be disconnected and made into a standalone the system. Don't click on popup windows as they would download harmful .exe files. Confidential Data such as Banking username, password, Aadhaar number, Pan number, Account number etc., should not be stored in the browser.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.