Transport ( Term 2 Chapter 3 | 4th Social Science )
I. Choose the correct answer.
1. Which of the following is an example of land transport?
Answer: a) Car
2. The first railway line was laid in _________.
Answer: b) 1853
3. One of the major cities that connects Golden Quadrilateral highway is ________.
Answer: a) Chennai
4. _________ is the oldest mode of transport.
d. Bullock cart
Answer: d) Bullock cart
5. There are _________ modes of transport.
Answer: b) 4
II. Match the following.
1. International airport in Tamil Nadu- Bus
2. Important public transport - Chennai
3. Train from Kanniyakumari to Jammu-Thiruchirappalli
4. Major sea port of Tamil Nadu- 2015
5. Chennai metro rail started in the year- Himsagar Express
1. International airport in Tamil Nadu - Thiruchirappalli
2. Important public transport - Bus
3. Train from Kanniyakumari to Jammu -Himsagar Express
4. Major sea port of Tamil Nadu - Chennai
5. Chennai metro rail started in the year - 2015
III. True or False.
1. Transport is not needed for people. (False)
2. Ports remain main centers of trade. (True)
3. Roadways do not connect different parts of our country. (False)
4. The Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus is the smallest bus terminus in Asia. (False)
5. Tamil Nadu has 5 major ports. (False)
IV. Answer in brief.
1. Define transport.
Transport is the movement of people, animals and things from one place to another.
2.List the different modes of transport.
The different modes of transport are
3. Describe railways. Name any two major rail links from Tamil Nadu.
Railways is the most important mode of transport which connects the states.
Himsagar Express, Tamil Nadu Express, Chennai Express are some major rail links from Tamil Nadu.
4.What is air transport? What are used for air transport?
Air transport is the fastest way to travel to different parts of the world. We use aeroplanes and helicopters for air travel.
5. Write any three advantages of transport.
1. Growth of agricultural and industrial production.
2. Growth in trade.
3. Promotes tourism.
Make a model of aeroplane, ship, bus or train using newspapers and display it in class.
Stick pictures of any two forms of land transport that you use everyday.
Stick pictures of different forms of railways (ex: metro, steam, high speed) and write their names below it.
1. Which is the only state in India that has more than 2 ports ?
Answer: Tamil Nadu
2. Name the ports in Tamil Nadu.
Answer: Ennore, Chennai and Tuticorin.
3. Name the government agency that handles marine transport related infrastructure in the country.
Answer: Shipping Corporation of India.
Collect pictures of any three international airports of India, stick it and write their names.
Try to Answer
1. Which is used to travel short distance in airways?
2. How many international airports are there in Tamil Nadu?
Answer: There are four International airports in Tamil Nadu.