Atmosphere (Term 1 Chapter 4 | 5th Social Science)
I. Choose the best answer.
I. Choose the best answer.
1. The atmosphere is divided into ____ layers.
Answer: b) five
2. The Earth receives heat energy from the __________.
Answer: c) Sun
3. World Meteorological Day
a) March-20 b)
b) March -21
Answer: d) March-23
4. The study of weather is called
Answer: a) Meteorology
5. Zone located in between Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn is ________ zone
Answer: d) Torrid
6. ________ is used to measure pressure in the air.
d) Wind vane
Answer: a) Barometer
7. Monsoon is derived from the _____ word.
Answer: b) Arabian
8. Vertical cloud is called _____.
a) Cirrus cloud
b) Stratus clouds
c) Cumulus clouds
d) Nimbus clouds.
Answer: d) Nimbus clouds.
9. _____ clouds give convectional rainfall.
Answer: c) Cumulus
10. Statement I - The instrument used to measure wind direction is wind vane.
Statement II - Light travels faster than sound.
a) Statement I True II False
b) Statement I, II True
c) Statement I, II False
d) Statement I False II True
Answer: b) Statement I, II True
II. Fill in the blanks.
1. The instrument used to measure heat thermometer.
2. The imaginary lines drawn parallel to the surface of the earth is latitude.
3. Sea breeze blows from sea to land in the evening.
4. Nimbus clouds are rain clouds.
III. Match the following.
a) Cirrus clouds - Grey sheet
b) Stratus clouds - Storm cloud
c) Cumulus clouds - do not give rain
d) Nimbus clouds - Cotton
a) Cirrus clouds- do not give rain
b) Stratus clouds - Grey sheet
c) Cumulus clouds- Cotton
d) Nimbus clouds - Storm cloud
IV. True/ False.
1 All weather changes occur in the Troposphere. (True)
2. Latitudes and Longitudes help us to locate a country. (True)
3. Atmosphere gets heated by conduction than solar radiation. ( False)
4. The main reason for the change of wind direction is the due to Earth rotation. (True)
5. Cyclone moves in anti-clock-wise direction. (True)
V. Write short note.
1. What is climate?
Climate is the average weather condition of a vast area over more than 30 years.
2. Name the atmospheric layers?
The atmospheric layers are: Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Thermosphere and Exosphere.
3. Write a short note on the Nimbus clouds.
Nimbus cloud : It appears as dark or grey in colour. It gives heavy rainfall. It is called vertical or rain clouds,
4. Write a short note on the orographic rainfall.
Orographic Rain fall : When the moisture laden winds from the sea climb the hill slopes, it becomes cool and cause heavy rainfall. The opposite side of the mountain is called Leeward side. It receives very little rainfall.
VI. Answer in detail.
1. Write about Jet Streams.
Jet streams: Air currents in the upper layers of atmosphere is known as Jet streams. It could determine the arrival and departure of monsoon winds in India.
Hurricane (cyclone): Hurricane changes its position and direction with time. The speed of winds from the hurricane also changes with time.
2. Explain the types of winds.
Planetary wind : These winds move in the same direction throughout the year with the rotation of the Earth.
Monsoon winds : The word monsoon is derived from the Arabic term ‘mausim’ which means season.
Types: South West monsoon winds
North East monsoon winds
Sea breeze: It blows from sea to land during the evening.
Land Breeze: It blows from land to sea in the morning.
Local Wind: It affects the weather.
Warm local wind – North West India
Cool local wind – North East India
Write the significance of gases
Oxygen : For living things to exist
Carbon di oxide : For plants to prepare food by photo synthesis.
Ozone : To protect the earth from UV radiation of the sun.
In which latitude and longitude is your school located?